CKWS TV [Aug. 4, 2016]
Opening night is 45 days away — September 17th — the Queen’s Gaels against the Western Mustangs — meanwhile the work continues on the new George Richardson Stadium.
As you can see there’s no lack of activity…the opening kick-off is less than 7-weeks away. One of the biggest changes to the new facility — the playing surface — the green green grass of home — I mean the artificial turf of home.
“This is the same turf they just finished installing at Gillette Stadium where the Patriots and the same turf where the Seahawks play so you cant get a much higher level than that.” [Gord Meacher/Facilities & Operations Manager]
When complete — the 21 million dollar revitalization project will be state of the art.
It will obviously have a different look and feel to it — heck–lets be honest… everything will be new… except the name.
Queen's Gazette [Aug. 4, 2016]
Queen’s University’s revitalization of Richardson Stadium took another key step forward this week as the installation of the new artificial turf field got underway.
Student-athletes will play on Revolution 360, the latest innovative product from industry-leader FieldTurf. Revolution 360 is rated as the industry’s most durable fibre and has been installed at fields and stadiums across North America, including Mosaic Stadium (home of Saskatchewan Roughriders), Gillette Stadium (home of the NFL's New England Patriots and MLS's New England Revolution) and CenturyLink Field (home of the NFL's Seattle Seahawks & MLS's Seattle Sounders).
Completion of the field is expected to take several weeks.
The revitalization project started at Richardson Stadium in July 2015 and will be completed before the Queen’s Gaels football team’s home opener on Sept. 17, as they host the Western Mustangs. A soccer event will follow on Sept. 18 as the Gaels men’s and women’s teams host the Carleton Ravens, this is an open event and all are welcome to attend.
- Richardson field's goal within range | The Whig-Standard [Apr. 21, 2016]
- Progress continues on Richardson Stadium | Queen's Gaels [Apr. 12, 2016]
- Gaels To Play on Fieldturf Revolution 360 | Queen's Gaels [Apr. 1, 2016]
- Football season tickets now available | Queen's Gazette [Apr. 1, 2016]
- Richardson Stadium construction ahead of schedule | The Queen's Journal [Mar. 31, 2016]
- Richardson Stadium then-and-now | The Queen's Journal [Jan. 12, 2016]
- Press Box Demolition - Richardson Stadium Project | Station 14 [Nov. 27, 2016]
- Stadium Construction Off to a Great Start | Station 14
- Richardson Stadium Renovations Coming Soon! | Station 14
284 Earl Street
P: 613-533-6000 x74956
Richardson Stadium offers an excellent fan experience with sightlines and seating close to the field of play that enhances the spectator experience. In addition, the stadium has a state-of-the-art Jumbotron scoreboard, bowl seating design with 8,000 seats, modern washrooms, improved stadium and area lighting, more convenient gate locations with dedicated gate access for players, media, and season ticket holders. Experience the best football Kingston has to offer at Richardson Stadium.
All New Fan Experience
© 2017 Copyright Queen's Athletics & Recreation